Monday, April 30, 2012

The strawberries taste like strawberries!

Chris and I went up to Murfreesboro to visit with Ben, Daeon, Kaelyn and Alayna last weekend.  We had a great time!  Kaelyn graciously allowed Chris and I to sleep in her bed, although at first she said only I could sleep in it.   We got there in time for pizza Friday night, and then Daeon, Kaelyn and I went to the store to get ingredients for a peaches and cream pie (Yes, it was as good as it sounds.  recipe here: http://www.lemonademakinmama.com/2012/04/there-is-no-finished-product-because-my.html) and then picked up The Iron Lady at the redbox.  It's no wonder Meryl Streep won the Oscar for Best Actress; she was incredible!

On Saturday, we all went to Valley Home Farm to pick our own strawberries.  Daeon and I did most of the picking (Kaelyn did a lot of eating), and the boys looked after Alayna and watched.  There was no way they were getting down those narrow rows with Alayna's stroller without mashing a few strawberries along the way.

Working hard!
Our bounty

After we were done filling up our baskets, we went into the store for some sweet treats!  Chris had strawberry ice cream and I had a frozen strawberry-honey pop.  It was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth--it was cold, sweet and tart with lots of fruit--and it was perfect after picking strawberries in the warm sunshine.

Kaelyn had strawberry ice cream too!
I also bought a couple loaves of strawberry bread.  They were still warm from the oven!  We opened one up and gave it a try, and it was delicious by itself, but I can't wait to have some with a little bit of cream cheese on top.

Loving on these sweet girls
After we finished our treats, we drove to an old town called Bell Buckle, and we had a late lunch at a meat-and-three called the Bell Buckle Cafe.  

These girls love Uncle Twis
Sitting outside the cafe, plucking the petunias
After lunch, we were all so tired from strawberry picking we went home and took a nap.  Later on that evening, we went to church with them (they have 4 services--2 Saturday night and 2 Sunday morning).  Their church is doing a very interesting series right now--the pastor is preaching through the Bible, starting in Genesis.  I don't think anybody would argue with me when I say that the Old Testament is hard to read and understand, especially with all the begat-s and thou-s.  The pastor made it easy to understand the chronological events.  I thought the sermon was great because it went sort of like a history lesson, with the pastor emphasizing certain themes and lessons.  For example, when he spoke about the Israelites asking God for a king so that they would be like other countries, the pastor talked about adult peer pressure and being content with what God has given us.

On Sunday, Chris and Ben went golfing, and Daeon and the girls and I spent some time together at the house.  Daeon and I finished our movie while the girls napped, and then Daeon made a delicious lunch of pasta carbonara with thick-cut bacon and lots of fresh black pepper.  With our bellies full, Chris and I headed home to see our babies.  

Sweet Catticus snuggled up in the crook of my arm




No comments:

Post a Comment